SARANAC LAKE — The Lake Champlain Chapter of Trout Unlimited has announced the winners of its annual Department of Environmental Conservation Camp Scholarship contest.
The young men and women named below will be attending the DEC Summer Camp program at Camp Colby, near Saranac Lake.
The scholarships include the full cost of the camp and are provided in memory of the late Dennis Aprill and Sam Thuesen, longtime North Country educators and anglers.
The winners are:
• Michael Gallagher, son of Amy and William Gallagher of Dannemora.
• Doug Wagner, son of Jennifer and Mike Wagner of Plattsburgh.
• John and Olivia Tarabula, son and daughter of Jill and Richard Tarabula of Peru.
• Zachary Miller, grandson of Gerry and Ed Woodward of Ellenburg Depot.
• Kieran Henrie, son of Alice And Gregory Henrie, formerly of Saranac, now of Oswego.
• Slade Bruce, son of Tina Bruce of Saranac.
• Thomas Woods, son of Steven Woods of Crown Point, in cooperation with the Greater Adirondack Resource Conservation Development Council.
• Jacob Merrill, son of Kimberly Merrill of Redford, in cooperation with the Essex County Fish and Game League.
“This is a great bunch of kids,” Gretchen Comfort, program director for the chapter, said in a press release. “I’m really impressed by their interest in the camp and their outstanding applications. I’m also thankful for the support we received, especially from Skip Maggy at the Siberian Rod and Gun Club, Vic Putman on behalf of the Greater Adirondack RC&D, and Don Sage of the Essex County Fish and Game Federation.
“Together we have helped more deserving youngsters get to DEC Camp than we ever have in the past.”
Chapter President Derrick Miller also praised the program.
“Attending DEC Camp can be a life-changer for many attendees,” Miller said. “This is a great program and Trout Unlimited is proud to support it.”