Press-Republican

Local News

December 17, 2010

Sale of Old Stone Barracks pending

Montreal developer in talks to buy base property

PLATTSBURGH — The pending sale of the Old Stone Barracks property on the Old Base has stirred community emotions.

A deal is in the works with a Montreal developer to purchase the 170-year-old historic property, which sits on 7.75 acres of land off Route 9 in the South End of the City of Plattsburgh.

The property is assessed at $775,300, but the sale price is reportedly $35,000, which has some in the community scratching their heads.

"To give it away at a fire-sale price is not the right thing," said Keith Herkalo of the Battle of Plattsburgh Association.

"But PARC will have to answer to that."

LITTLE INTEREST SHOWN

The Stone Barracks property has essentially been on the market since Plattsburgh Air Force Base closed in 1995, explained former Plattsburgh Airbase Redevelopment Corp. Chief Executive Officer Bruce Steadman, who recently left the area to take another post in New Jersey.

But because any development of the property would involve expensive compliance with state and federal historical regulations, interest was minimal.

"It could cost millions to make it viable, and that's a huge risk," Steadman said.

PARC tried several times to find a taker for the property, offering package deals including land and even operating funds, but nothing materialized.

"We tried to give it to the city and county, and they didn't want it," Steadman said.

'TOO RISKY'

For the past three years, PARC had been working with the Battle of Plattsburgh Association to try to hatch some kind of deal, but that, too, fell through.

Herkalo said the association had planned to renovate the building to include a visitors information center, museum, commercial space and a small cafe.

They were going to sell their existing assets on the base to help fund the project and had sought private investments and state incentives.

"But the banks were squeamish, and we lost our Empire State Development Zone tax incentives when they canceled that program, and that would have amounted to about $87,000," Herkalo said.

The Battle of Plattsburgh Association's deadline to make a deal with PARC ended Sept. 1, and, Herkalo said, they decided to drop their pursuit.

"It just was too much. It became too risky, and we decided to pull the plug."

Text Only | Photo Reprints
Local News

North Country Scenes


Click on photo to view gallery with latest photos

FYI...