Press-Republican

Local News

October 3, 2012

Electrical fire destroys two-story house in Ti

TICONDEROGA — Several people are homeless after a fire Monday destroyed an apartment building on The Portage in Ticonderoga.

The building had three apartments, and all the occupants were being helped by the North Country Chapter of the American Red Cross, Ticonderoga Assistant Fire Chief Matt Watts said Tuesday.

The fire started in an apartment rented by Justin and Darcy Morse, he said.

“Upon our arrival, we found a large amount of fire on the second story that was coming out of the front door. Our initial attack crew did an outstanding job knocking the fire down and containing the flames to the kitchen.”

COMPLETE LOSS

The fire was reported at 130 The Portage just after 2:30 p.m. Monday, with a rekindle in the second floor and attic just before midnight.

The building is owned by Steve and Betty Thompson, who have insurance, officials said.

Names of the other tenants were not available, but everyone got out safely, Watts said.

“There was heat and smoke damage to the rest of the second story, with smoke and water damage to the downstairs apartments,” he said. 

“The other responding personnel did an outstanding job keeping the smoke and water damage to a minimum and overhauling the apartment of origin.”

Ticonderoga got mutual aid from Crown Point and Putnam, with Hague on standby. Also responding were the Ticonderoga Fire Auxiliary, Ticonderoga Emergency Squad, Ticonderoga Town Police, Essex County Air Truck One, National Grid and the Ticonderoga Town Building Inspector’s Office.

The Essex County Fire Investigation Unit sent investigators, Watts said.

“The cause was determined to be accidental and electrical in nature. 

“The building is a complete loss.”

Email Lohr McKinstry: lmckinstry@pressrepublican.com

1
Text Only | Photo Reprints
Local News

North Country Scenes


Click on photo to view gallery with latest photos

FYI...