Local News

November 15, 2013

Fires battled in Moira, Burke, Fort Covington

FORT COVINGTON — Three fires in 12 hours kept firefighters in northern Franklin County busy Wednesday night and Thursday morning.

No one was injured, but occupants had to flee in two of the fires.

A home at the corner of Jamison Road and Route 11 in Burke and an unoccupied family farmhouse on Chapman Road in Fort Covington were destroyed. And an apartment at 608 Route 95 in Moira sustained heavy damage.


Sabrina Bink said she was about to cook dinner in Apartment 4 about 7:05 p.m. Wednesday.

She had walked into another room to get her 5-month-old son, Brantley, to join her when the smoke alarm sounded.

Smoke and flames were coming from the wiring behind the kitchen stove, “and I got my son and my dog and got out of there,” Bink said.

She took Brantley and Shera the dog downstairs to a neighbor’s apartment, who called in the alarm, and the occupants of three other apartments also got out of the building safely.

The apartment house, situated on Route 95 between Dow Road and Finnegan Road, is owned by John and Donna DeBeer of Keeseville, according to records from the county’s Real Property Tax Service online database.

It is next door to the historical boyhood home of Luther Bradish, the lieutenant governor of New York from 1838 to 1840.

The North Country Chapter of the American Red Cross provided food and warm coats for Bink and her son.

She was able to save Brantley’s crib, but most of his clothing and toys were lost. He is in between size 3-to-6-months and moving toward 6-to-9-months.

Bink was able to buy clothing for herself, but she lost most of her furniture and small appliances.

She does have insurance coverage.

She and her son and dog are staying at her mother’s house so Bink does not have storage space for donations right now. She can be reached at 521-4729.

Text Only | Photo Reprints
Breaking News
New Today
Local News

North Country Scenes

Click on photo to view gallery with latest photos