PERU — The Sunday afternoon fire that destroyed a mobile home in Peru appears to have started from an electrical source.
“It looks like it was a short in a cord,” Peru Fire Chief Brian Westover said.
The Peru Volunteer Fire Department was dispatched to Mark Way at 11:32 a.m.
The single-wide trailer at 20 Mark Way is owned by Bill Agoney of Peru and was rented by Craig and Tina Rock.
The Rocks were waiting outside their home Saturday afternoon for representatives from North Country Chapter of the American Red Cross to arrive.
The couple was not home when the fire started but arrived there while the 30 firefighters were working to extinguish the blaze, Westover said.
Craig said his cousin texted him about the fire, and he and his wife immediately returned home to find their house badly damaged.
The fire was mostly contained to the area between the kitchen and the living room, but smoke had damaged the whole trailer.
“They’re going to be able to save some of their contents but the trailer is going to be considered a total loss,” Westover said.
“It’s devastating,” Tina said, standing in her charred living room.
She said she was feeling an overwhelming combination of emotions.
“You name it, it’s there.”
No people were injured; two cats, Buster and Louie, were rescued from the home by firefighters, Westover said.
The Rock’s third cat, Bones, was able to make it out of the home largely unscathed.
“She just had to have a bath,” Tina said.
All three cats were at the vet, though. Buster’s paws were burned and Louie’s right lung collapsed, Tina said.
The Rock’s children, Alexis, 9, and Tyler, 8, were with Craig’s mother, Pam Rock, when the fire started, Pam said.
The fire adds another sad event to their recent difficulties, Pam said.
Since January, there have been multiple deaths in the family, she said.
But, somehow, they will find a way to pull through, she said.
“We’re all there for each other,” she said. “We’re a strong family.”
Craig said he still planned on taking online classes that he had registered for previously at Southern New Hampshire University.
“I have my computer,” he said.
He said he hopes to earn a degree in accounting.
Agoney got a call about the fire while he was working at Salerno Plastics.
“It’s not salvageable,” he said.
Agoney said he has insurance on the property and the Rocks have renter’s insurance.
Once the Rocks have removed their personal belongings, the trailer will be torn down, Agoney said.
“They’re excellent tenants,” he said. “I just feel really bad for them.”
Agoney said he was thankful no one was injured.
“It’s just a hard thing.”
Providing mutual aid at the fire site was the Keeseville Volunteer Fire Department and South Plattsburgh Volunteer Fire Department. South Plattsburgh was also standing by at Peru’s station.
The Peru Volunteer Fire Department was back in service at 1:22 p.m.
Email Felicia Krieg:firstname.lastname@example.org