Press-Republican

Local News

February 16, 2013

Some common items can be hazardous to pets

(Continued)

Nathan Theobald, a veterinarian at Palmer Veterinary Clinic on Route 22 in Plattsburgh, recommends calling a vet or an animal-poison control hotline if you think your pet may have been poisoned. Call with information such as the weight of the pet, how much of the toxin was ingested and when it happened.

“Call with what the pet got into, and not just the brand name of the product but the active ingredient,” Theobald said. 

Other toxins notorious for causing issues with pets are flea and tick products. If the product is intended for dogs, it shouldn’t be used on cats, Theobald said. Also, pets should be watched carefully after treated to ensure they don’t lick the area and ingest the medication. 

Small pets are also susceptible to toxins, such as oven cleaner. 

“Anything that gives off fumes; if you can smell it, keep it away from your small pets,” Theobald said. 

“You’ve got to get on it right away if your pet ate something,” Benway said. “Always be alert. Always tell the vet anything you’ve done or applied.”

+++++

PET POISONS

The ASPCA says the top 10 pet toxins of 2011 are: 

1. Prescription human medications 

2. Insecticides 

3. Over-the-counter human medications 

4. People food

 5. Household products 

6. Veterinary medications 

7. Rodenticides 

8. Plants

 9. Lawn and garden products 

10. Automotive products

 --Courtesy of www.aspca.org

 

Text Only | Photo Reprints
Breaking News
Local News

North Country Scenes


Click on photo to view gallery with latest photos

FYI...