Press-Republican

Local News

January 15, 2013

Fire guts Bangor home

BANGOR — An apparent electrical fire in a cellar gutted a two-story home on Route 11B in Bangor Sunday morning.

Phil and Carol Edwards of 2189 Route 11B were not at home when the blaze broke out at 9:07 a.m., said Bangor Fire Chief Jerry Dumas.

“It was a fully involved structure fire on our arrival,” he said. “It was a large, two-story home with a basement.”

The chief said a Franklin County Cause and Origin Team was investigating to determine the exact reason why it sparked.

“We’ve narrowed it down to an electrical problem in the cellar,” he said, but will wait for a full report before making a determination.

KNOCKED DOWN FAST

Dumas said the fire spread quickly up the cellar stairs and climbed into the upper floors.

The blaze was knocked down fast and contained, but putting it out completely in such a big house took time.

He said because the stairways were destroyed, firefighters could only access the second story by coming in off the porch’s roof, which slowed them down.

“We were hampered a little bit, but we were able to get in there,” he said.

There was little visible evidence outside the structure that a fire had occurred, but Dumas said the interior was a total loss.

Bangor volunteers received mutual aid from the Brushton and Moira and Malone Callfiremen, and the Franklin County Fire Police helped control traffic.

The close proximity of the Little Salmon River helped efforts because there was no need to haul water using a series of tanker trucks, which saved time.

Dumas said the Edwards have insurance and they were staying with extended family in the area.

Email Denise A. Raymo

draymo@pressrepublican.com

1
Text Only | Photo Reprints
Local News

North Country Scenes


Click on photo to view gallery with latest photos

FYI...