Currently, only Hawaii has higher average gas prices than New York.
Dave Webb of Lake Placid, who was in Plattsburgh picking up some last minute Christmas presents in his Ford F-250, tries to drive his wife's car whenever possible to save gas.
"I don't drive my truck. Now, Plattsburgh is the farthest I'll take it," he said. "Before, when gas prices weren't as expensive, maybe I'd take it to Albany.
(The gas price) definitely makes those decisions for you."
The Press-Republican conducts an occasional gas price survey.
Here is a sampling of the price of regular unleaded gas around the area as of Dec 23. The first number is from Nov 4.
- Betty Beaver Truck Stop, Lewis $3.97 $3.77.
- Cadyville Gulf, Cadyville $3.75 $3.69.
- Dubrey's Service Station, Plattsburgh $3.99 $3.85.
- Eastern Door Convenience, Hogansburg $3.88 $3.63.
- Maplefields, Peru $3.99 $3.79.
- Mountain Mart, Malone $3.98 $3.77.
- Nice N Easy, Tupper Lake $3.99 $3.79.
- Port Henry Mobil, Port Henry $3.99 $3.77.
- Ray Brook Sunoco and Deli $3.95 $3.69.
- Route 11 Mobil, Champlain $3.99 $3.83.
- Saleem Mobil, Plattsburgh $3.97 $3.77.
- Saranac Country Store, Saranac NA $3.75.
- Stewarts Shop, Dannemora NA $3.67.
- Stewart's Shop, Ticonderoga NA $3.65
- Village Meat Market, Willsboro $3.97 $3.79
- W W Carwash, Plattsburgh $3.93 $3.79
- Westport Mobil, Westport $4.09 $3.89