Press-Republican

Local News

April 14, 2013

Wood stove fire destroys hunting camp trailer

AuSABLE FORKS — A trailer used as a hunting camp on Buck Hill Road was destroyed by a fire caused by a wood stove, authorities say.

A few men were working on the land surrounding the trailer when they noticed the wood stove had caught the structure on fire, AuSable Forks Fire Chief Michael Lincoln said.

No one was injured.

The AuSable Forks Volunteer Fire Department was dispatched to the camp at about 10:30 a.m. and were back in service at about 2 p.m.

The department used their 4-wheel drive pumper to traverse the muddy road that leads to the camp, Lincoln said.

The fire “was fully involved and on the ground” when the Fire Department arrived, he said.

About 15 firefighters worked to extinguish the blaze, Lincoln said.

The camp has no official address, Lincoln said. It’s owner, Norm Gero, of AuSable Forks, does not have insurance on the property, Lincoln said.

He estimated the damage was between $20,000 and $30,000.

From what he knew, nothing of value was in the trailer, Lincoln said.

The Keeseville Volunteer Fire Department provided mutual aid.

Email Felicia Krieg:fkrieg@pressrepublican.com

1
Text Only | Photo Reprints
New Today
Local News

North Country Scenes


Click on photo to view gallery with latest photos

FYI...