ROUSES POINT -- Mary Duprey isn't carrying along any undue worries about safety as she trains for a return to the Boston Marathon a year after the bombing.
Regular emails have gone out to the entrants from race organizer Boston Athletic Association outlining the safety precautions made for this event, she said, including what runners can and cannot bring to the race.
"It's just going to be nice to be there," the Rouses Point woman said, "to be part of that whole event."
A year ago today, she had completed the marathon and was three blocks away when the first blast rocked Boston. She and her husband, Gerry, had reached their car as the first wailing sirens of rescue vehicles were arriving -- it wasn't until then that they learned the two explosions they'd heard were bombs.
Mary and Gerry vowed they would both compete in the 2014 race, which takes place on April 21.
An injury kept him from making a qualifying run in time, but Mary, 53, actually qualified with her time at last year's marathon.
"I'm a little bit underprepared," she said, as she is training for Iron Man Lake Placid's trio of events so not running as much.
"The peripheral system is trained, but I'm not sure the legs are trained (enough)." But the spirit is willing, driven in large part by the tragedy that took place last year. "I guess we just want to fight back," she said.
Others from the North Country are entered in the marathon, too, including Lake Placid residents Heidi Baumbach, Darci A. Lafave, Rachel Stanton and Billy Whitney; Plattsburgh runners Keith Benoit and Aimee E. Demers-Bourgeois; and Steven K. Benway of Willsboro.
Search for other competitors and learn more about the race at: http://www.baa.org.
-- By News Editor Suzanne Moore