Local News

November 21, 2013

Champlain home structurally sound after fire

CHAMPLAIN — Support has been overwhelming for Jarrod and Christine Cone and their four children after smoke and fire heavily damaged their home Tuesday evening.

Jim McCarthy, landlord for the Cones and a co-owner of the property at 322 Route 276, said the family had been receiving multiple phone calls from people looking to help.

“Offers of everything are just pouring in right and left,” he said.

Mr. Cone is employed at Clinton Community College, and assistance has been offered from that avenue, as well, McCarthy said.  

The Cones were all home on Wednesday evening; the smell of smoke prompted the couple to take the children to a neighbor’s home and call 911.

They have a 3-month-old infant, a 2-year-old and 7-and 8-year-olds, said Rose Favreau, who owns the home with McCartney and two other nephews, John and Martin McCarthy.

“I’m so glad they got out,” she said Wednesday. “They’re just wonderful neighbors.”


Multiple fire departments from the Northern Tier, Quebec and Vermont turned out to shut down the flames that engulfed the attached garage at the home. While the fire did spread to the house, it was quenched quickly at that point, Champlain Volunteer Fire Department Second Assistant Chief Walter Lapan said Tuesday night.

The garage, which Favreau remembers as a summer kitchen during her childhood, was a total loss.

“I was born and brought up in that house,” she said.

She lives across the street, but her childhood home has always held a special place in her heart. So family members rushed to be with her when they heard about the fire.

“They know how much that place means to me,” she said. 


Fire investigators declared the home structurally sound, Jim said, but the inside of the home had severe smoke damage.

Text Only | Photo Reprints
Local News

North Country Scenes

Click on photo to view gallery with latest photos