Local News

September 10, 2013

Quick knockdown saves 1 apartment in duplex



Guerin had tossed some clothes in the dryer before joining her sister next door, Recore said.

And just before the smell of smoke caught their attention, she said, “she was going back over to see if they were dry.”

Guerin was left with only the clothes on her back, though the North Country Chapter of the American Red Cross gave both women some money for apparel and food, along with two nights’ stay at a hotel.

Recore’s apartment and belongings suffered smoke damage, and as she has asthma, she wonders just what she can salvage.

“I don’t think I’m going to get (her clothing) clean enough,” she said.

Monday, she had all the windows open to bring fresh air to her two small dogs inside the unit.

Both sisters have renters insurance, she said, but she said she and Guerin had been turned down for coverage for lodging.

Beyond Sunday and Monday nights, Recore said, “we have nowhere else to go.”


Recore has lived in the duplex for a decade, and Guerin eight or nine years.

Their landlord, Kevin Finley, “has been very good about helping us out with whatever he can do,” she said.

He provided her with a generator and told her it would likely take until the end of the week to restore electrical power to her side.

“We just appreciate everybody” who has been helping them, Recore said.

Email Suzanne

Text Only | Photo Reprints
Local News

North Country Scenes

Click on photo to view gallery with latest photos