PLATTSBURGH — An afternoon fire damaged a mobile home at 24 Redwood St. Thursday.
South Plattsburgh Fire Department Assistant Chief Eric Day said firefighters were called to the home around 2:14 p.m. The woman living there, whose name was not available Thursday night, heard the smoke detectors going off, and noticed flames coming out of the back of the dryer shortly after she had put in a load of clothes.
She ran outside and notified a neighbor who tried to douse the fire with a fire extinguisher, but could not make much progress. Another neighbor then called for help.
Firefighters were able to squelch the fire, which had been burning at the back of the dryer and in the wall behind the dryer. The hoses on the washing machine next to the dryer melted and burst, which helped out as water sprayed onto the flames.
Day said the home sustained some damage to the wall and some water damage, but he believed the woman who lived there along with a man and three children would be able to stay there.
The tenants did not have insurance, Day said.
Day said it appears that the fire was started because the dryer vent was not cleaned well enough.
“Cleaning the dryer vent is something we strongly recommend people do once a year,” Day said.
“We’ve had about half a dozen fires in the past year because of unclean dryer vents and it is preventable.”
Firefighters were busy at the home for about an hour, Day said.
Firefighters from the City of Plattsburgh also responded to the call.