Local News

May 2, 2013

Police: Denno changed story many times


“He said where he comes from, women beaters don’t live,” Levison told the jury.

So police could better visualize the events, Levison, Huber and Denno got into a Pontiac Grand Prix, drove to Keeseville from Plattsburgh and traced the route that Denno said he had taken that night with Mr. Rivers.

Denno and Mr. Rivers and Rennie had yelled profanities at each other until Rennie punched Mr. Rivers and knocked him down, Levison said Denno told him.


In this statement, Denno said he had seen Rennie holding a glass bottle and that when Rennie reached for something in his pocket, Denno punched Rennie once in the head, once in the ribs and one more time in either his ribs or his head. 

He said he couldn’t remember for sure, Levison said.

Denno said Rennie fell to the ground, at that point, and Rivers and Denno left him there.

“They looked back to see Robert up on his feet, kind of holding his side and staggering,” Levison said Denno had told him during this statement.

Denno’s statement said he went back home after that, woke up at 6 a.m., vomited and then slept until 8 a.m.

Investigators weren’t able to find the remains of the bottle when Denno guided them to the location of the altercation, Levison said.


Then, on Sept. 11, 2012, investigators questioned Denno in an interview room with audio and visual recording capabilities at the Plattsburgh barracks.

“He proceeded to tell us another version,” Levison said.

This time, the investigator said, Denno and Mr. Rivers saw Rennie walking north on Route 9 in Keeseville while they were walking south on the opposite side of the road.

Levison said Denno told investigators that Rennie had started the fight and that Denno put him in a headlock, and Rennie dropped to the ground. Then the three men agreed to move to the more secluded parking lot of the Frontier Telephone Co.

Text Only | Photo Reprints
Local News

North Country Scenes

Click on photo to view gallery with latest photos