Press-Republican

Local News

April 20, 2013

Chimney fire spreads to Beekmantown home

BEEKMANTOWN — A family was displaced after a fire Thursday night that damaged their 53 Surrey Drive home.

The Beekmantown Volunteer Fire Department was dispatched to the residence at about 10:30 p.m. after a passer-by called in the fire, Fire Chief Darryl Menard said.

Menard said the four people inside the home were not aware of the fire at the time.

When the department arrived, the exterior south end of the home was ablaze, Menard said.

The fire seemed to have spread from the chimney down the side of the house and then into the attic, the roof and one of the bedrooms, the chief said.

The rest of the home has some smoke and water damage, but it isn't severe, he said.

Damage to the home, owned by Michael King, is assessed between $40,000 and $50,000, Menard said.

But it could have been worse.

"We got very lucky. We made a nice save."

King does have the property insured, the chief said.

A section of the roof had to be removed, Menard said, during the firefighting effort.

It appeared the blaze was sparked from a chimney fire, but it was still under investigation, he said.

Providing mutual aid through the Tanker Taskforce were fire departments from Chazy, West Chazy, Plattsburgh District 3, South Plattsburgh and Cumberland Head.

Beekmantown crews left the fire site at about 2 a.m.

Email Felicia Krieg: fkrieg@pressrepublican.com

1
Text Only | Photo Reprints
Local News

North Country Scenes


Click on photo to view gallery with latest photos

FYI...
  • Why Facebook is getting into the banking game

    Who would want to use Facebook as a bank? That's the question that immediately arises from news that the social network intends to get into the electronic money business.

    April 19, 2014