Local News

December 6, 2012

FBI: Serial killer robbed Tupper bank in 2009



Keyes’s admissions and the subsequent release of those statements have opened up a nationwide search for more victims.

Arrested in Lufkin, Texas, on March 13 of this year, he was extradited to Alaska as a suspect in Koenig’s disappearance. Her debit card and cellphone were found in his vehicle, the FBI said. 

The 18-year-old woman worked at a cafe bar in Anchorage, and her only connection to Keyes was selling him a cup of coffee.

Emerging details of Koenig’s death reveal premeditation in a holdup at gunpoint, according to a statement released by District of Alaska U.S. Attorney Karen Loeffler.

“Prior to February 1, 2012, Keyes had selected the Common Grounds coffee stand located on Tudor Road for the site of abduction. He did this after considering other coffee stands, but chose Common Grounds because of its location and because it was open later than other coffee stands. Keyes had never met or seen Samantha Koenig before. He approached the coffee stand just prior to closing time, wearing a ski mask, and ordered a coffee. Samantha made the coffee and handed it to Keyes; he then pulled out a gun and demanded money. Samantha complied, and then Keyes forced himself inside the coffee stand and tied Samantha’s hands with zip ties. Keyes then forcibly walked her out of the coffee stand.”

Keyes later told the FBI he asphyxiated the woman; he directed authorities to the Alaskan lake where he dumped her remains.


While in custody, Keyes also told investigators he put the bodies of the Curriers in a landfill. 

Vermont police working with the FBI and Essex, Vt., police searched a landfill in Coventry last May.

Television news reports from WCAX on May 7 said two dozen FBI agents with an evidence response team arrived with a mobile crime scene command post and stayed, searching with rakes, for months.

Text Only | Photo Reprints
Local News

North Country Scenes

Click on photo to view gallery with latest photos