Local News

May 7, 2014

Baby saved from fire now OK

MALONE — A 13-month-old baby rescued from a burning home here on Saturday was successfully treated for smoke inhalation.

In all, 12 people — including a pregnant woman — were left homeless by the 6:30 p.m. blaze at 255 Park St.

Heather Golden said she and her husband, Jeremy, had been out on a kind of date together for the afternoon and evening when they got paged about the crisis.

“They told us there was a small fire at our house,” Mr. Golden said.

But when his wife called her parents, Amanda and Scott Gervais, who live next door at 259 Park, they were told whole house was on fire.

As the horrifying sight of the gutted house met her eyes, Mrs. Golden found herself screaming, “Where are my kids?”


Their baby, Arianna, had been home under the care of Christina Duquette and her two children, Miley, 6, and Erica, 7, all of whom were staying with the Goldens.

A grease fire caught the kitchen ablaze in the lower rear of the two-apartment building, Mr. Golden said, in the unit where his family lived.

Arianna was in the living room, Mrs. Golden said, when, from outside the house, her sons Ethan Tuper-Gervais, 9, and Ian Tuper-Gervais, 6, and her 13-year-old cousin Alex O’Keefe saw the rushing flames.

“They ran through the fire to save her,” she said in a phone interview.

“Just as they got out, the fire was coming through the living-room door from back here,” her husband said, standing a few feet from the charred rear door. “The fire just took off in the back of the house.”

Two days later, it still sickened Mrs. Golden to think what might have happened to her little girl.


Mr. Golden said Arianna started having trouble breathing at about 2 a.m. Sunday and was taken to Alice Hyde Medical Center, where the staff gave her oxygen and continually ran tests until her breathing improved.

Text Only | Photo Reprints
Local News

North Country Scenes

Click on photo to view gallery with latest photos