May 5, 2014

Flames destroy Malone apartment house


---- — MALONE — Flames had already engulfed the first floor of the apartment house at 255 Park St. on Saturday night and were moving rapidly to the second floor when the firefighters got there.

“The fire was rolling out the back of the building upon our arrival,” Malone Callfiremen Chief Paul Langdon said on Sunday. 

“The interior attack crew were able to knock it down, but unfortunately the interior of the larger apartment was pretty well gutted upstairs and down.”  

A woman and three children were home in one of the two apartments when the fire started at about 6:30 p.m. but they left the building unharmed, Langdon said. 

He said the it appeared that the fire started in the kitchen of one of the units, possibly from a pot of grease on the stove. 

The home was a total loss. 

“The family was advised that we could call the Red Cross, and they (turned down the offer),” Langdon said. 

He believes the home was insured. A Franklin County Property search lists Amanda and Scott Gervais as owners. 

Malone Callfiremen received mutual aid from Bangor, Constable and Westville fire departments. Franklin County Emergency Services, Fire Police and the Cause and Origin team also responded. 

The fire department was back in service at about 9:30 p.m.