25 YEARS — 1989
• The Akwesasne Mohawk reservation in Hogansburg was the center of attention this week when police arrested three gambling casino owners and seized a number of slot machines. Tony Laughing, owner of Tony’s Vegas International, was arrested on a charge of criminal possession of a gambling device. After he was taken away by troopers, gambling opponents entered his establishment, dragged his slot machines into the parking lot and smashed them.
• Ticonderoga’s Emergency Services Dispatch Center got the green light recently from the Ticonderoga Town Board and may be open July 1. The new facility will be located in the Ticonderoga Civic Center and will handle all police, fire and ambulance calls for the town. Impetus to start the emergency communications center came when Ticonderoga Emergency Squad dispatchers, a group of volunteers, complained of being burned out.
• Saranac Lake Village Manager Richard DePuy will lobby trustees again for Saranac Lake to accept asbestos at its landfill. A month ago, DePuy recommended that the village accept 300 truckloads of asbestos being removed from buildings at the Lake Placid Club Resort, but after the board delayed their decision the property owners dumped the asbestos elsewhere. DePuy said the village lost a substantial sum on the club asbestos but could still accept the material from other sources.
50 YEARS — 1964
• Plattsburgh Teamsters Local 648 expects certification as labor’s bargaining agent at the International Lime and Stone plant in Chazy this week. The local won an election over another union among the firm’s eight employees. When certification is received from the National Labor Relations Board, negotiations will start for a new contract with management, according to Teamsters business agent Victor Mousseau.
• Steven Scott’s fiancee forgave him in Plattsburgh City Court Thursday and withdrew the assault charge she’d lodged against him the night before. Scott, 20, an airman from Plattsburgh Air Force Base, was hauled off to jail after Elsie Forgette, 19, complained of assault during an argument. The couple are to be married in a few weeks.