By FELICIA KRIEG
---- — CHAZY — A fire on Ratta Road damaged an apartment and displaced tenants from the multi-family building.
Dennis Wilson was cooking on the grill on his porch off his first-floor apartment, Chazy Volunteer Fire Department Capt. Dennis Pilon said, when the flames engulfed the grill and spread to the porch.
When Pilon arrived at 283 Ratta Road shortly after the call went out at 6:38 p.m., he notified Clinton County Dispatch to upgrade the fire's status to include a structure, he said.
The West Chazy Volunteer Fire Department responded as mutual aid, and the Tanker Task Force was called in to help but was later canceled, Pilon said.
"We ended up getting a quick knockdown on it."
Wilson, who called in the fire, was the only person in the apartment building at the time, Pilon said.
He was not injured.
Other apartments were threatened as flames spread up the side of the building, he said.
"The two apartments above had their windows open."
Pilon closed the windows to prevent the flame spreading farther inside the second floor.
One of the apartments sustained smoke damage, and fans were used to ventilate the residence, Pilon said.
The apartment building is owned by Carol Rock, he said.
All the tenants were displaced because the electricity had to be shut off to the building, Pilon said.
The North Country Chapter of the American Red Cross provided immediate emergency aid to four people who had been living in the apartment house, according to a Red Cross press release.
Three adults and one child from two families were given financial assistance for food, clothing and lodging, the Red Cross said.
The Chazy Volunteer Fire Department was back in service at 8:15 p.m.
Pilon said the West Chazy Volunteer Fire Department helped greatly in extinguishing the blaze, and he is thankful for their assistance.
"They all did a great job."
Email Felicia Krieg: firstname.lastname@example.org