Press-Republican

Local News

March 1, 2013

Pactiv building damaged in fire

PLATTSBURGH — Overheating equipment may have caused a fire at Pactiv late Thursday morning.

The City Fire Department was dispatched to the food service and packaging company at 74 Weed St. in Plattsburgh at 11:11 a.m., arriving three minutes later, said City Fire Department Capt. Terry Feazelle.

Heavy smoke and steam could be seen coming out of the building when they arrived, he said.

”We stretched several hand lines ... one to the fire and two for backup. We started putting water on the fire. It was quite a tough fire to fight.”

The fire spread to the roof, but firefighters were able to extinguish it a few minutes later, he said.

”We were lucky enough to have nine men working at the time (of the call), and it made fighting the fire easier,” Feazelle said.

Five more firefighters were called to help, for a total of 14 working to put out the blaze, using equipment from three firetrucks.

The roof suffered minor damage, and the building also sustained water damage, Feazelle said.

Materials used in the manufacturing process at Pactiv were also damaged.

Machine numbers 8 and 9 had caught fire and were the source of the blaze, Feazelle said.

What ultimately started the fire in the machines, though, is under investigation, he said.

The Plattsburgh City Fire Department was back in service at about 1:30 p.m., with one firetruck still at Pactiv about a half hour later to confirm that the fire was fully extinguished.

Email Felicia Krieg:

fkrieg@pressrepublican.com

1
Text Only | Photo Reprints
Local News

North Country Scenes


Click on photo to view gallery with latest photos

FYI...