PLATTSBURGH — Members of the local historical community are sure of one thing when it comes to the proposed deal for the Old Stone Barracks: They want it stopped.
"I would prefer it if no development at all was allowed on that ground," Howard Miller said. "It's just too sacred."
About 40 people, many representing local history groups, attended a meeting Friday afternoon to discuss their concerns about the barracks.
The barracks, built in 1838, and 7.75 acres of adjoining land were offered to Montreal developer Bernard Schneider last month for $35,000.
Schneider is entertaining plans to develop two apartment buildings on the land near the barracks. He has offered a lease on the barracks to any group interested in preserving or utilizing the building. Schneider has until early April to finalize a deal on the property with the Plattsburgh Airbase Redevelopment Corp.
He will be holding a meeting March 1 at the Plattsburgh/North Country Chamber of Commerce to discuss his plans with anyone who is interested.
Because the barracks is on the national Historic Register, there are strict guidelines as to what can and cannot be done with the building.
Estimates for restoring the structure have been as high as $2 million.
The Battle of Plattsburgh Association had been negotiating with PARC the past few years to make a deal on the building, but had to withdraw last September when they could not secure funding.
BOPA had a multi-use plan for the building that included a museum, visitor's information center, small cafe and office space.
Keith Herkalo, BOPA's head, said a multi-use plan was the only way the building would be able to sustain itself.
When local history groups heard of the pending sale to Schneider, they erupted in fury. Many were concerned that a Canadian citizen would be owning a piece of American history, and many were concerned about what they perceived to be a very low price.