By AMY HEGGEN
---- — TUPPER LAKE — A kitchen fire ignited by hot grease displaced a family of three in an Ivy Terrace apartment here.
At about 5:43 p.m. Sunday evening, the Tupper Lake Volunteer Fire Department responded to a 911 call at the apartment of Randy and Brie Mandigo and their 2-year-old child.
Fire Chief Carl Steffen said that only Randy, who is a member of the Fire Department, was home at the time of the blaze.
“It started from french fries cooking in a pan of grease,” Steffen said.
The fire was confined to the kitchen, and damage was done to the stove. Smoke contaminated the entire apartment, including furniture and clothing, he said.
The pan of burning grease was brought outside, and the apartment was ventilated with fans.
Nobody was injured.
“There was no spread to any other apartment,” Steffen said.
The family was offered assistance but said they had a place to stay, he said.
Volunteers from the North Country Chapter of the American Red Cross did provide some help to the family, according to a press release.
They were provided with lodging, food, clothing and comfort kits.