Press-Republican

Local News

April 3, 2009

Stone walls collapse at Fort Ti

[-BULLET-] Officials say no danger to public; fort slated to open May 21

(Continued)





"It's not nearly as problematic."



She said once they have repair estimates, they can ask for funding to restore the walls. The fort had already applied for federal stimulus money to work on the bastion's north wall.



Ryan-Biggs Associates of Troy will inspect the walls and furnish estimates.



MOVING CANNONS

In the meantime, the fort will probably issue requests for proposals to move the cannons that sit atop the northwest bastion, she said.



"They're (the cannons) not in any danger, but we probably will move them."



The cannons are sitting on a strong foundation, she said.



"They're so heavy it requires a special company with a special crane. The company will move them."



The loose stone from the collapsed walls will also be removed and inspected to see if it can be reused for the repairs.



FUNDS

Paine said the fort probably won't be able to apply for grants that require matching funds, since it doesn't have the money to pay the match.



The fort came up $2.5 million short when its $23 million Mars Education Center was completed last year.



Fort officials say that although the deficit has been made up, they're still in financial difficulty. The fort laid off four people, closed buildings and set a late opening to save money.



The south wall at the fort was reconstructed in 2003, and the fort's long-range planning committee has identified other sections as priorities for rebuilding to prevent future problems.



E-mail Lohr McKinstry at: lmckinstry@pressrepublican.com

Text Only | Photo Reprints
Local News

North Country Scenes


Click on photo to view gallery with latest photos

FYI...