MALONE — Between 15 and 20 people were evacuated from the two-story Webster Manor Apartments while firefighters worked to extinguish a cooking fire in one of the units.
No one was injured, Fire Chief Brian Gokey said.
”Everything went well. It was a quick operation.”
The Malone Callfiremen were dispatched at 3:25 p.m. to apartment 303 of the Webster Manor building, located at 180 Webster St. in the Village of Malone, for a cooking fire in the kitchen of the unit, Gokey said.
Apartment 303 is located on the first floor in the rear of the building, which is owned by Conifer Realty, Gokey said.
”The occupants had put some water on the grease fire,” making it worse, Gokey said.
The fire had started on the stove and spread to the cupboards and up the wall to the ceiling, Gokey said.
Although the fire was confined to the kitchen of the residence, the occupants of the other apartments were evacuated, Gokey said. Firefighters assisted in evacuating a woman in a wheelchair, he said.
”We searched all the other apartments because there was a lot of heavy black smoke.”
Apartment 303 is now uninhabitable, Gokey said, but the other residents were
allowed to return to their units.
A representative from Conifer Realty came to the apartment building upon notification of the fire and made arrangements for the displaced occupants, Gokey said.
A Franklin County Code Officer was also at the site, he said.
Gokey said he wasn’t aware of any pets living in the building.
The Callfiremen were back in service by 4:30 p.m.
The Bangor Volunteer Fire Department provided mutual aid and Westville stood by.
Email Felicia Krieg: firstname.lastname@example.org