WITHERBEE — An accidental fire destroyed a modified mobile home in Moriah’s Witherbee hamlet Saturday night.
The home’s occupant, Tammy Shaw, and her four children, got out safely and are staying with friends, fire officials said. The fire at 252 Silver Hill Road in Witherbee was reported to the Essex County 911 center at about 7:30 p.m.
"We could see the fire from Moriah Center, about three or four miles away. We thought it was a bonfire," Mineville Fire Chief Adam Wright said. "It was fully involved when we got there." According to Essex County Emergency Services Director Donald Jaquish said no one was injured. “The American Red Cross is assisting Ms. Shaw and her children,” he said. The Essex County Fire Investigation Unit was at the fire and the preliminary finding is that it was accidental, he said. Shaw lived in a single-story mobile home that had been added onto with a wraparound addition, he said. “That made the fire more difficult to fight. There were problems getting inside.” It was unknown if she had insurance, but the home is a total loss, he said. Mineville-Witherbee firefighters got mutual aid from Moriah, Port Henry, Westport, Crown Point, North Hudson, Reber, and Elizabethtown companies. Some departments were called to take tankers to the fire to supply water. About 50 firefighters fought the fire.
— Contributing Writer Shawn Ryan also contributed to this story