Clark wouldn’t release the name of the person who lives in the damaged unit but said that tenant had admitted dozing off with a cigarette burning.
Resident Amanda Worrell’s fears were in part relieved when a firefighter exited the building with her four 8-week-old kittens.
A neighbor, yet a stranger to her, offered to shelter the cats in her car nearby.
Angelique Catalanotto invited into her home any tenants from the building who needed a place to rest and figure out what they would do next.
“I’m too much of a Christian not to open my door,” she said. “My door is open to whoever needs it.”
Due to the lack of power and smoke damage, Clark said, it was unlikely that tenants would be allowed to return to the building Wednesday night.
But he said with some cleaning and repairs, he was confident that the remaining apartments could be occupied again.
According to the Clinton County Real Property Office website, the apartment building is owned by Edward A. Bechard of Mooers and Beverly J. Bechard of Champlain.
Valued at $225,000, it has 13 apartments and was built in 1937, the site says.