PLATTSBURGH — The cause of a fire that destroyed a mobile home on Cold Spring Road Friday night remained under investigation Saturday.
Keeseville Volunteer Fire Department Chief David Perky could not say whether the cause was deemed suspicious, saying only that investigation was continuing.
The blaze was reported by a neighbor and crews were dispatched to 135 Cold Spring Road at 8:15 p.m. Friday, Perky said.
The residence was in a secluded area, he said, with the houses situated far apart from one another.
Although the mobile home’s residents are out of town, their dogs were outside when the fire department arrived, Perky said.
The reason for that was unclear.
The name of the homeowner was not available Saturday but Perky said a husband, wife and children lived in the mobile home.
It was unknown whether they have insurance.
Upon Perky’s arrival, heavy smoke was visible, he said.
“We had a lot of trouble with the blown-in insulation in the roof.”
Fire smolders in that type of insulation, he said.
Nothing will be salvageable from the home, the chief said.
“It’s a total loss.”
About 30 firefighters responded to the burning structure and crews were there for almost four hours, Perky said.
“We had extensive overhaul.”
Assisting the Keeseville Volunteer Fire Department were departments from Peru and AuSable Forks.
The South Plattsburgh Fire Department air truck also responded with the Willsboro Volunteer Fire Department standing by Keeseville’s station.
The Keeseville Volunteer Fire Department was back in service at 11:54 p.m.
Email Felicia Krieg:email@example.comTwitter: @FeliciaKrieg