Press-Republican

October 30, 2013

Fire damages Community Center roof

By DENISE A. RAYMO Press-Republican
Press-Republican

---- — BRUSHTON — Fire broke out Tuesday under the newly constructed roof of the Hope Community Center here.

The building, owned by the First Christian Church in Brushton, is next door to the Stewart’s Shop on Route 11.

The Community Center was to be the site of a Halloween event for trick-or-treaters on Thursday, with games, a bouncy house and more, but officials said that might be in jeopardy due to the fire.

Franklin County 911 dispatchers got the call at 9:13 a.m., sending firefighters from Bangor, Moira and Dickinson as mutual aid for Brushton Volunteer Fire Department.

“Some guys were in there installing a furnace when someone from the store ran in and told them there was a fire,” said church member Randy McAdam. “They had just finished the roof yesterday.”

He said two buildings share one roof and that it looked like the fire started in the valley between them.

“I think they may have heated up a timber; it smoldered all night, then came up through the edges,” McAdam said.

Small curls of smoke seeped from under the tin roof on the south-facing side of the building until the first firefighters arrived with an ax and chopped through the roofing material to get to the source and release a billow of smoke.

Members of the county’s Cause and Origin Team were investigating where and how the fire got its start.

McAdam said the building is insured and that it was too soon to tell what kind of damages occurred.

He said church and center officials would decide what to do about the Halloween celebration after assessing the damage.

Email Denise A. Raymo:draymo@pressrepublican.com