By AMY HEGGEN
---- — PERU — A cigarette on a bed at 3760 Route 9 in Peru lit the room on fire.
Three adults were in the residence at the time, including owner Maureen Kennedy. One of the adults reported the fire to emergency services at about 6:42 p.m. Monday, said Brian Westover, the Peru Volunteer Fire Department Chief.
The bedroom suffered significant fire damage while the rest of the house suffered smoke damage, Westover said.
The family was checked at the scene for smoke inhalation, but refused treatment.
View Fire: 3760 Route 9, Peru in a larger map
Peru, Keeseville and South Plattsburgh fire departments responded to the fire with about 30 firefighters on scene while Morrisonville Fire Department was on standby. CVPH EMS also responded.
Westover said the family is staying in a hotel for the night.
Peru Volunteer Fire Department was back in service at 8:11 p.m.