Press-Republican

Local News

December 19, 2012

Heater likely started Schuyler Falls fire

SCHUYLER FALLS — A faulty kitchen heater is likely to blame for a fire at 149 Soper St. last Thursday night, according to Morrisonville Fire Chief Steve Brown.

The Morrisonville Volunteer Fire Department happened to have a meeting at the Fire Station that night and were still at the station when the call came in at about 8:37 p.m., Brown said.

“Heavy smoke conditions” were visible when the Morrisonville Volunteer Fire Department arrived at the house in Schuyler Falls, he said.

The home is owned by Leona Erickson, Brown said. Her daughter lives down the street at 143 Soper St. and called 911 when, arriving for a visit, she saw that her mother’s house was on fire.

Erickson, who was in her home when the fire started, also made a call to 911.

No one was injured. A dog, that either belongs to Erickson or her daughter, was outside the house when firefighters arrived, Brown said.

Erickson has homeowner’s insurance and is staying with her daughter, the chief said.

The kitchen is gutted, and the rest of the house suffered smoke and heat damage, but the damage may be repairable, Brown said.

About 25 firefighters helped extinguish the blaze. Morrisonville EMS was dispatched to the fire, and Peru and Cadyville fire departments were on standby.

“I think the guys did a good job,” Brown said.

Email Felicia Krieg: fkrieg@pressrepublican.com

1
Text Only | Photo Reprints
Local News

North Country Scenes


Click on photo to view gallery with latest photos

FYI...