Local News

March 28, 2014

Fire destroys Fort Covington barn

FORT COVINGTON — Fire destroyed a barn on Dundee Center Road early Friday; two firefighters suffered smoke inhalation battling the flames. 

“We had to keep water on the nearby houses so they wouldn’t catch on fire,” said Fort Covington Volunteer Fire Department Fire Chief Tony Leroux.

Winston Armstrong, owner of the barn, called in the fire at 12:07 a.m., according to Franklin County Dispatch Center. The Fort Covington Fire Department arrived soon afterwards to find the structure engulfed in flames.

According to the chief, the main focus was the safety of the firefighters and containing the fire.

The main challenge, Leroux said, was making sure the fire didn’t spread to nearby buildings. 

A hydrant located not far from the fire supplied water, with departments from Westville, Bombay, Hogansburg/Akwesasne and Bangor providing mutual aid.

There were no animals in the barn, but machinery stored there was destroyed. 

Armstrong has insurance on the barn, the chief said.

The injured firefighters were treated then released from Alice Hyde Medical Center in Malone.

Leroux said his department was back in service at around 4 a.m.

Text Only | Photo Reprints
Breaking News
Local News

North Country Scenes

Click on photo to view gallery with latest photos