Local News

March 11, 2014

Two years, no answers in search for Colin Gillis

Tupper Lake teen's disappearance remains open case, police still seek information

TUPPER LAKE — It was two years ago today that Colin Gillis left a party in the early morning hours on foot.

He didn’t get home and has not been found since.

Only an old driver’s permit turned up, near where Setting Pole Dam road turns off Route 3 in Tupper Lake.


About 8:30 p.m. March 10, 2012, Colin set off for a spring break get-together with high-school friends. At SUNY Brockport, Gillis, 18, had begun his studies as pre-med student the previous fall.

The 6-foot-tall, blond teen rode with friends to a Lincoln Avenue home and then to a bigger party on Paskungameh Road where some 40 young people had gathered. 

As the party ended “abruptly,” police said, Colin started walking along Route 3 toward Piercefield.


State Police investigators interviewed motorists who saw the teen walking along the road alone that night. He was wearing a white American Eagle T-shirt with black stripes and had on red sneakers and blue jeans. He may have been carrying an orange L.L. Bean backpack.

“One of those motorists observed Colin by the St. Lawrence County/Franklin County Line,” police said in an update Monday. 

“Concerned about a pedestrian at that hour, in that location and seemingly alone, the motorist proceeded to the Tupper Lake Police Department and reported his observation.

‘The Police Department notified a State Police patrol, which subsequently traveled State Route 3 in the towns of Tupper Lake and Piercefield without observing any person on foot. 

“Colin Gillis has not been seen since that time.” 


The Gillis family, including his mother, Patty; father, John; older brother, Lyndon; and his uncle Rob Gillis launched an intensive search on March 11 as they realized the then 18-year-old young man hadn’t come home.

Text Only | Photo Reprints
Breaking News
Local News

North Country Scenes

Click on photo to view gallery with latest photos