Press-Republican

Local News

February 4, 2014

Blaze destroys Tupper Lake family's home

(Continued)

Fire consumed the former Santa Clara Lodge in St. Regis Falls on Friday night.

Firefighters battled a blaze at No. 1 Chinese restaurant at the corner of Bloomingdale Avenue and Broadway in Saranac Lake on Saturday.

And fire damaged a rental home at 34 First St. in Tupper Lake village just over a week ago.

In December, alone, Tupper Lake Volunteer Fire Department responded to 29 calls. The count is not final yet for January.

“It’s just been bad,” Maroun said.

“With the very cold weather, people are concerned about freezeups. And with no snow, there is no insulation, and everybody worries about their pipes freezing.”

Email Kim Smith Dedam:kdedam@pressrepublican.com

+++++

STAY SAFE, WARM

With the challenging cold this winter, Tupper Lake Volunteer Fire Department issued words of caution early in January via Facebook, urging people to be careful in keeping their homes warm.

"Please remember (to) use safe methods to thaw frozen pipes. Improper methods or unattended heating devices in close contact with combustible materials can cause a very destructive fire; if you are unsure contact a licensed professional to assist you.

"Also, please think of your pets, limit their time outdoors, those little paws get cold quick!"

Text Only | Photo Reprints
Local News

North Country Scenes


Click on photo to view gallery with latest photos

FYI...