Press-Republican

Local News

December 21, 2013

Family displaced by fire

VERMONTVILLE — Area agencies are helping a family displaced after a fire damaged their home this week.

The two-story house at 433 Swinyer Road in Vermontville is owned by Jeremy and Kathryn Schenk, who have a 5-month-old baby, a 4-year-old and 6-year-old.

Franklin County Emergency Services Director Ricky Provost said the Bloomingdale Fire Department ruled the fire accidental, caused by a pipe on the wood stove.

The blaze had started near the stove and spread up the wall into an upstairs bedroom. It also damaged a section of the kitchen, officials said.

“The house was not destroyed. They had a good stop,” Provost said of local firefighters’ effort to save the structure.

Bloomingdale Fire Department received assistance from several area fire companies fighting the fire: Saranac Lake Volunteer Fire Department, Lake Placid Fire Department and Paul Smiths-Gabriels Fire Department.

Tim Woodruff, chief of the Bloomingdale Volunteer Fire Department, said the family is staying with friends, as they can’t live in the home 

“The fire crews did get some Christmas presents out of the house,” Woodruff said.

Volunteers with the North Country Chapter of the American Red Cross provided assistance to the family, including food, clothing, shoes and winter outerwear. It also provided the Schenks with a portable crib and other supplies for the baby.

Anyone wishing to make donation can contact the Red Cross at 561-7280.

Email Kim Smith Dedam:kdedam@pressrepublican.com

1
Text Only | Photo Reprints
Breaking News
Local News

North Country Scenes


Click on photo to view gallery with latest photos

FYI...
  • Stepping forward: The real Colbert

    Letterman changed the late-night TV game between his run on NBC's "Late Night" and starting the "Late Show" franchise in 1993. And while it's tough to replace a pop-culture icon, Colbert, in terms of pedigree and sense of humor, makes the most sense.

    April 16, 2014