Press-Republican

Local News

February 14, 2014

Garage fire spreads to destroy Redford home

REDFORD — Jennette Pellerin saw flames when she looked out her bedroom window early Thursday morning.

After she noticed the back side of her home’s attached garage was on fire, Pellerin notified authorities.

Fire departments were dispatched at about 5:30 a.m. to 116 Clinton St. in the hamlet of Redford, Town of Saranac, said Saranac Volunteer Fire Department Chief Don Uhler.

Pellerin was able to get out of the burning structure safely, Uhler said, and no was injured.

“The family was able to retrieve a lot of personal items from the house, but the house is unlivable at this time.”

On Thursday afternoon, the damage was most visible on the back side of the home, with only wood beams remaining in some places.

The garage had burned to the ground, and the minivan inside was also destroyed.

‘STARTED IN WOOD BOILER’

Fire inspectors believe the fire started in a wood boiler that was attached to the back of the garage, the chief said.

Departments from Dannemora, AuSable and Cadyville responded to the fire, and Bloomingdale and District 3 were on standby.

Around 60 firefighters turned out to battle the blaze at the three-bedroom home in frigid temperatures.

When they arrived, the roughly 30-by-40-foot garage portion of the structure was fully involved, Uhler said.

“There was a little porch attached to the main ranch-style house, and the fire had just started getting into the main house when we arrived,” the chief said.

“It was a solid two hours of firefighting to knock it down, and we were on scene another hour and half or so just mopping stuff up.”

‘FAMILY HELPING’

Pellerin owns the home with Adlor Pellerin Jr., according to the Clinton County Real Property Office.

The home is insured, Uhler said.

“She has a large extended family that was all on scene helping her out.”

Text Only | Photo Reprints
Local News

North Country Scenes


Click on photo to view gallery with latest photos

FYI...