By ASHLEIGH LIVINGSTON
---- — PLATTSBURGH — A Walmart employee put out a fryer fire Monday morning, but the store was evacuated due to the amount of smoke that resulted from the small blaze.
Damage was contained to the fryer, located in the deli area, and no one was injured in the incident, according to Plattsburgh District 3 Assistant Chief Scott Ewing.
"It appears to have been a malfunction in the fryer," he said.
The fire was extinguished by the time firefighters arrived, according to Ewing, but crews worked to ensure the environment was safe.
Many customers waited outside as firefighters set up exhaust fans to blow the place clean.
Charlene Berry of Montreal, who was visiting Plattsburgh for a day of shopping, was in Walmart when the incident occurred.
She said the lights went out in the grocery section of the store and customers were told to leave their carts and go outside.
"It wasn't scary at all," she said, adding that she was just eager to return to shopping.
Plattsburgh District 3 was assisted by the Morrisonville and South Plattsburgh volunteer fire departments.
The 911 call came in at 8:56 a.m., and employees and shoppers were allowed back inside at about 9:48 a.m.
Email Ashleigh Livingston: