Press-Republican

Local News

January 5, 2011

2 hurt in Bangor garage fire

BANGOR — Two firefighters suffered minor injuries Monday fighting a blaze at a garage at 1129 Depot St. in the Town of Bangor.

Identities of the injured are not being released, but one was burned by a road flare and the other was struck in the face by a metal hose fitting, said First Assistant Chief Jerry Dumas in a news release.

Both were taken to Alice Hyde Medical Center, where the volunteer with the road-flare burns was treated and released and the other person was kept overnight for observation.

The fire was reported at 9:09 p.m. at 1129 County Road 22, but the owner's name was not disclosed.

The first truck was on the site within four minutes because of extra personnel already at the fire station.

Monday is the department's drill night and regular-meeting night for the department's staff, he said.

Dumas said use of the town's fire-hydrant system was also key in saving the nearby homes because tanker trucks did not have to shuttle back and forth to a dependable water supply to be refilled.

The two-story garage was fully engulfed when firefighters arrived and was endangering two nearby homes.

Dumas said the most effort was put to protecting those structures, which each sustained some minor exterior damage and broken windows.

Once the flames were out, the burned-out shell of the garage was pulled the rest of the way down by heavy-equipment operators for safety reasons, he said.

Bangor volunteers were assisted by firefighters from the Malone Callfiremen, Brushton and Moira as well as a team from North Ambulance Service, the Franklin County Fire Police, the Town of Bangor Highway Department and county Emergency Services fire coordinators.

E-mail Denise A. Raymo at: draymo@pressrepublican.com

1
Text Only | Photo Reprints
Breaking News
New Today
Local News

North Country Scenes


Click on photo to view gallery with latest photos

FYI...